Dr Christopher Hanning BSc, MB, BS, MRCS, LRCP, FRCA, MD
Chairman of the Advisory Board
Dr Hanning qualified in 1972 and embarked on a long and successful career as an anaesthetist, the majority as an Honorary Consultant Anaesthetist at Leicester General Hospital. His research work on respiratory monitoring led him to set up a sleep disorders service back in 1985, at a time when very few sleep clinics were established, hence demand grew rapidly.
Due to his involvement in sleep medicine at such an early stage, he was also a founder member and the first Honorary Secretary of the British Sleep Society. More recently, he was also the Chairman of the Primary Care Sleep Group from 2002-2006. Dr Hanning is Director of the Sleep Clinic and Laboratory at Leicester General Hospital, one of the largest sleep disorders clinics in the UK and currently handles the care and follow up of over 4000 patients on CPAP therapy.
Dr Hanning’s further external appointments:
• Examiner Part II (Primary) FRCA Examination, 1990-2003
• External examiner MD (Anaesthesiology), University of Colombo, Sri
• Regional Adviser to the Royal College of Anaesthetists, South Trent,
• Chairman Training Committee, Leicester and South Trent School of
• Member, Royal College of Anaesthetists Advisory Appointments
Committee Panel, 1990-date
• Member, Royal College of Anaesthetists Hospital Accreditation Panel,
• Medical Vice-Chairman, East Midlands Advisory Committee on Clinical
Excellence awards, 2007-9
• Chairman, Independent Research Ethics Committee, PPD Pharmaco,
• Honorary Secretary, British Sleep Society, 1991-1995
• Chairman, Primary Care Sleep Group, British Sleep Society, 2002 – 2006
• Medical Adviser, UK Narcolepsy Association, 2002- date
• Chairman and Panellist, General Medical Council, Fitness to Practice
Panels, 2005- date
Dr. Mark Abramson DDS
Dr. Abramson qualified with a degree as a General Dental Practitioner from the University of Maryland in 1975 and completed a Residency in General Dentistry at the Palo Alto, Veterans Administration Hospital in 1976. He also had a private practice in General Dentistry, Temporomandibular Disorders & Orofacial Pain Management and Dental Sleep Medicine in Redwood City, California since 1976.
His academic memberships include: University of Maryland Vice-President, Predental Society and the University of Maryland Dental College. He is professionally affiliated with; American Dental Association (Diplomat), American Academy of Orofacial Pain (Diplomat), American Academy of Pain Management (Board Certified), International College of Craniomandibular Orthopedics, American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine (Diplomat) and The Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine.
He is an attending Physician with The Stanford University Hospital, The Stanford Medical Center TMJ Orofacial Pain Clinic and the Stanford Center for Integrative Medicine. Dr. Ambramson is also the author of several Dental Sleep Medicine papers and a frequent presenter on the topic. He is also the inventor of the ‘OASYS' (Oral / Nasal Appliance System), an upper airway management system for the treatment of snoring and sleep apnoea.
Dr. Amrit Takhar BSc, MB ChB, DRCOG, DCH, MRCGP, MSc
Dr. Takhar is an experienced principal at a GP practice in Peterborough, having qualified in 1987. He has a special interest in sleep apnoea, osteoporosis and Information technology.
He is currently a Member of the Commissioning Executive for the Northamptonshire PCT and the Local Medical Committee. Dr. Takhar been group facilitator on several conferences regarding Good Clinical Practice in Research, Communication skills and IT skills.